Career Development Association of Alberta (CDAA)
Ignite Your Passion 2017
The CDAA pleased to host Ignite Your Passion 2017, an annual event featuring a full day of quality and affordable professional development in five locations across Alberta!
This year’s event is facilitated by Herky Cutler, a well-known and respected Career Development Professional and member of the Career Development Association of Alberta.
Events in Fort McMurray, Edmonton, Red Deer, Calgary, and Lethbridge will include two dynamic and engaging sessions:
Session One (9:00am – 12:00pm): Catching the Current Wave: What Job Searchers Need to Know in Today’s World
Just like everything else in this fast-paced world, keeping up with current, and effective, job search techniques is no easy task for career development practitioners.
What are the current trends in writing resumes and cover letters? How are employers recruiting these days? How can I get my client to stand out? How should I prepare my client for today’s interviews? Do I REALLY need to get my client to use social media?
Things ARE changing and sometimes career practitioners don’t have the time to stay on top of these changes. We’re going to pack a LOT of things into this 1/2 day interactive session, and you will walk away armed with new tools and information you can use with your clients the very next day.
Some of the tools participants will learn about:
- The Re-Incarnation of the Resume
- The One-Sentence Elevator Pitch
- Leveraging Your Client’s LinkedIn Profile
- Employer Recruiting Techniques
- An Interview Difference-Maker!
- Left Brain Activities to Achieve Better Results
- Maximizing Time With Your Clients
Session Two (1:00pm – 4:00pm): The Art of Career Development: R.E.A.C.H. for the Star in You
Anyone who is a career development practitioner in this day and age has access to a myriad of resources, information, formal education, informal education, theory, and practical tools. These things make up what I call the “science” of career development, and they are actually relatively useless, unto themselves. Why else do we continue to attend conference after conference, and course after course, gathering more of it all?
I believe practitioners need to expand their focus to include the “art” of career development. The art of career development practice goes beyond the science and looks at the foundation from which we practice. What are the core principles that drive us in terms of “how” and “why” we do what we do with our clients? What distinguishes one practitioner from another when using the same resources, information and tools, besides personality?
I believe practitioners need to R.E.A.C.H. to find their own Star. In this interactive session, I will present the 5 components of R.E.A.C.H., and provide tips on how to manifest them in your lives.
- Developing greater self awareness as a person and as a practitioner
- Gaining new insights into how personal lives affect professional practice
- Honing the art of career development practice
- Learning more about how to “walk the talk”
- Developing new ways to engage clients at the deepest level
About Herky Cutler:
Herky Cutler wants to change the world. He wants people and organizations to break through barriers that exist in their lives in order to move forward and improve their individual and collective performance. He wakes up every day thinking about ways he can do that through his work as an organizational consultant, professional speaker, corporate trainer, and author.
Herky has a Master’s degree specializing in organizational development, is a professional speaker, a certified career development professional, and a certified teacher. He has a wealth of career development experience including;
- 10 years of training practitioners through Life Role Development Group
- 5 years of online instructing practitioners through Life Strategies Ltd.
- 9 years developing and coordinating a Youth Connections project that became a model for many other YC projects in the province
- Developing innovative curriculum and programs such as Using Music as a Career Development Tool, the B.E.S.T Program (Building Employment Skills Today), and “Courageous Career Development”
- Authoring a chapter in the book “101 Great Ways to Compete in Today’s Job Market”
- Numerous presentations at Cannexus, ACDC, BCCDA, Building Tomorrow Today, NCDA, NATCON, and other CD conferences
- Keynotes at State of Arkansas and State of South Carolina Career Development Conferences
- 10 year membership with the NCDA
- 20 year membership with the CDAA
Herky is an innovative thinker who uses music, humour, story telling and a variety of other tools to help participants tap into issues they are having within themselves or within their organizations.
Herky will push your buttons and challenge you to take risks. He's not happy with the status quo and believes we should be continuously evolving as professionals and as human beings. If you want to stay where you’re at, don’t come to one of his events.
Event Dates and Locations:
Fort McMurray, AB – October 23, 2017 – Eagle Ridge Community Centre (YMCA of Northern Alberta) – 2-301 Sparrow Hawk Dr, Fort McMurray, AB T9K 0P1
Edmonton, AB – October 25, 2017 – Edmonton Central – City Centre Alberta Supports (Second Floor – Ted McCrae Room) – 10242 105 Street, Edmonton, AB T5J 3L5
Red Deer, AB – October 26, 2017 – Venue to be determined
Calgary, AB – October 27, 2017 – Fort Calgary – 750 9th Avenue SE, Calgary, AB T2G 5E1
Lethbridge, AB – October 30, 2017 – Venue to be determined
Registration and networking (8:15am – 9:00am)
Session One (9:00am – 12:00pm; comfort break provided)
Lunch and networking (12:00pm – 1:00pm)
Session Two (1:00pm – 4:00pm; comfort break provided)
Event Wrap Up (4:00pm – 4:30pm)
Member Earlybird (until September 20, 2017): $125.00 + GST
Non-member Earlybird (until September 20, 2017): $200.00 + GST
Member Regular (until October 16, 2017): $175.00 + GST
Non-member Regular (until October 16, 2017): $250.00 + GST